In 1975, the Ministry of Shipbuilding Industry of the USSR made the decision to set up the 61st Department of the Severnoe Design Bureau (Leningrad, Saint Petersburg). It was created 1st November, 1975 and in the year it was reorganized to the Uzhnoe Design Bureau.
From the creation and till 1991, the Uzhnoe Design Bureau successfully carried out:
– the development of the design documentation and the support of the construction of the cruisers of the Project 1164 (Slava class) and the frigate (coast guard escort ship) of the Project 11351 (Krivak III class);
– the modernization of the large anti-submarine ships of the Projects 1134B and 1134BF (Kara class), and the Project 61 (Kashin class);
– the development of the design documentation for the construction of the destroyers (large anti-submarine ship) of the Project 61ME (Kashin II class) for the Republic of India.
Currently, the last eighth ship of the Project 11351, the frigate “Hetman Sahaydachniy”, is the flagship of the Ukrainian Navy.
The Uzhnoe Design Bureau was reorganized in the State Research & Design Shipbuilding Centre (SRDSC) in 1992.
In spite of the economic crisis in 1990s, SRDSC carried out a number of R&D works for creation of:
– multipurpose patrol ship;
– multipurpose destroyer class ship;
– floating space launch platform;
– sea-based missile test table;
– next-generation corvette class ship;
– next-generation boarder guard ship, as well as elaboration of documents of search-and-rescue vessel for the Coast Guard etc.
In 2004, SRDSC completed the design works of the river artillery armored boat project for the Republic of Uzbekistan. From the February 2005, the two boats are in service at the Amu Darya.
In 2005 SRDSC awarded a contract for design documentation development of a gunboat for the Vietnam Navy. Currently, the six boats, manufactured by Hong Ha Company (Hai Phong), are commissioned for the Vietnam Navy.
In 2006 SRDSC developed the technical documentation of designing, construction and trial of the new type patrol boats for the Republic of Turkey, throughout the collaboration began in 2000.
Since 2006, under the order of the Ministry of Defense of Ukraine, SRDSC has been responsible for design of a corvette class ship for the Ukrainian Navy. The works are conducting under the National Ukrainian Corvette Program.
In 2011 the contracts for technical documentation development and technical support of construction of the Oral type missile boat were concluded with the Republic of Kazakhstan. For today four boats, manufactured by JSC “Zenith Shipyard” (Uralsk), are in service.
In 2014 under the order of the Ministry of Defense of Ukraine, SRDSC carry out a pilot project of the fast patrol boat “Lan”.
In 2014, the technical design of modernization of “Gurza” boats was conducted.
Additionally, in 2014-2015 there were developed the technical project of the fast coast guard boat of the Project 58165(“Briz-40”) and the fast assault craft of the Project 58181(“Kentavr”).
In 2016 SRDSC conducted the engineering design of modernization of the frigate «Hetman Sahaydachniy» under the contract with the Ministry of Defence of Ukraine.
SRDSC is certified by DNV-GL for compliance the Management System of SRDSC to requirements of the new issue of ISO 9001:2015 (SRDSC is certified since 2005).
SRDSC is a member of the State Concern “Ukroboronprom”.
SRDSC is the only specialized Ukrainian scientific-technical organization in the area of the shipbuilding of the warships.